Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Naptime Challenge Day Three: Soak Up the Quiet

When I was first married to my husband, I would marvel at his ability to just sit. To stare at a wall. To drive for hours and, apparently, not think about anything. We certainly had a few fights in the early months of our relationship because of my inability to grasp that he was really just sitting. Not thinking or brooding or avoiding. Just being.

So, through the years I have tried to take a lesson from him but have found it hard. My personality loves to accomplish so even when I attempt to sit still, I find it almost impossible to stop my brain from going.

Today, I am going to challenge myself to be still and quiet.

Here's how it works:

(1) Leave sleeping person's room and avoid chores (unless of course throwing in one load of laundry might actually help you focus on this!)

(2) Find a quiet place- it's going to be in the mid-60's and sunny here in Wisconsin today so I am finding a quiet place outdoors. Probably the lounge chair near our fire pit.

(3) Just sit. Try not to plan a list or think about summer camp registration for your little or anything.

(4) Maybe even try a breath prayer - say one thing to the Lord as you breathe in and another as you breathe out. Just focus on the smells of early spring, the light breeze, relaxing your muscles. Just be.

(5) See if you can do this for at least 10 minutes. I am going to set a little alarm so I am not constantly wondering what time it is.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Enough

  Having to actively fight the perfectionist side of myself while I take these three classes is a true battle. I want the A. Gosh darnit, I ...