Saturday, March 12, 2016

Sprucing Up

Just a few short days ago, we met with our realtor. Some people wait until then to figure out which projects need to happen around here. As this is the third home we'll be selling, I've learned at least a little over the years about what needed to happen before he even came.

Hence, the massive decluttering exercise I've been working on for months.

Hence, painting the outside trim last fall to get that out of the way.

Hence, powerwashing all the outdoor surfaces so they'll only need a quick once-over this spring.

Hence...and on and on...

You get the idea. I've been working hard.

And now it's time for some of the fun stuff. I need to make the house look a little updated, a little cheerful...and I need to do it cheaply. If there's on DIY I love, it's finding old things to make new. So, I picked a color palette that goes with our main living space and am boldly moving forward.

Project 1: Color Accents

When we moved in, the entire main floor was boring old white. And while I know it's trendy to have white walls and lots of colorful amazing artwork, I still love a little color on the walls myself. So, I painted most of the main room a pale grey with blue undertones and the kitchen and accent wall a smoke blue. Then I opened up a magazine just yesterday and saw that smoke blue is a very IN color. Well. I am rarely ahead of the game in that department. So, yippee. They had some fun suggestions on accents to go with smoke blue: mint, coral/orange, pale pink and grey. Since the walls and kitchen have lots of grey, I thought it'd be fun to pull out the spray paint.

1a: Lamp

Ok, so there isn't anything wrong with this lamp except for it's just...blah. So, I figured a coat of paint and a patterned shade could spice things up a bit. Except I can't find a patterned shade I like. So, I just painted the base so far and I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nicer shade.

BEFORE

AFTER
1b: Vases

Two old vases, scuffed and cloudy meet fresh coats of paint.

BEFORE 


AFTER
AFTER

1c: Canisters

These used to be a beigy color with rusty and green leaves so I understandably updated them when we moved here. Just a plain old white. But I thought it was time for something that would pop just a smidge more.

BEFORE

AFTER

1d: Fruit Bowl

We've had this plastic bowl for years and it's fuzzy and scuffed up now. Not exactly good for making the fruit look more appetizing. Again, a fresh coat of paint. I only painted the outside on this so the fruit wouldn't rest on the paint when I was done.

BEFORE
AFTER
Project 2: Desk Chair

We've always had this sad little corner of the kitchen without a chair. Partially I didn't want one because that area becomes even more accessible to my toddler if he can climb on to a chair, but I also just didn't feel like spending money on a chair we might only need for a few years.

Then I found a chair for $2 last week. And figured, what the heck?!

Stained, dirty and scuffed with a horrible, musty, vinyl covering.


BEFORE 




BEFORE




AFTER
AFTER



Project 3: Icky Blinds

The moment we moved in I knew our vertical blinds had to go. Dated, ugly, blah. And now, thanks to our exuberant eater, covered in food stains that won't come out. So, one quick weekend pulling them down, putting up rods and curtains and, voila!


OK, they are cute, but check out the hideous blinds in the background.

AFTER
AFTER


Man, I love curtains. What a difference.

Once done with the projects, I cleaned from top to bottom and put everything back.















At least this floor is show-ready!

2 comments:

Good Enough

  Having to actively fight the perfectionist side of myself while I take these three classes is a true battle. I want the A. Gosh darnit, I ...